Sunday, August 12, 2007

Explosive and a journey into Sports

What is it? Explosiveness. Is it to summon a burst of energy at a limited period of time? Is it when a basketball player just suddenly becomes on target with everything and hits 14 straight shots or scores 10 straight points or dominates a quarter? Is it when a soccer player is just all over the place or scores two straight goals or just sprints out of nowhere? Do athletes need it? Yes.

Ever since polytechnic started, I always wanted to be more sports oriented. I tried music and I actually wanted out two months into it and still went on four months due to some stuff I didn't hear about. I truly enjoyed Physical Education. It got me involved in a lot of different sports. No offense to the band but I really wanted to change to athletics.

I finally got my chance when I applied for the first three months of Junior College. It was temporary so it was no harm to try. I quickly took off in my P.E. lessons with a 3.2 km run, I nearly didn't make it but I pushed through. The department at first recommended people like me who were from band, chinese orchestra, dance or other CCAs which were common to both secondary and Tetritary to stick with the CCA we were in before. I wanted to try something else so, since it was an optional choice. I opted for Basketball ( I was thinking dance but I decided it would be awkward especially with auditions and all and choosing music or genres.). In basketball, I didn't make the team but opted to stay on for training. So, I did the work. Worked out, ran some extra tracks during my P.E. and even went on a road game to SAJC. I struggled and even had to back out on one drill ,but it taught me valuable work ethics which I didn't posses. I felt I lost in transition then. I couldn't play well, I was the slowest on running drills, even my lay-ups were as terrible since grade school ; but I still battled my way through two months and left the third after it was eventual that I would be heading for a Polytechnic.

It was a new leash on life when Polytechnic year 1 started. I first needed to find a sport I was passionate about and free on Thursday(Campus Crusade for Christ) and Friday (Basic Mandarin). I wanted an adventure sport. I tried Sailing and liked it but missed the basic sailing course due to a planned overseas trip. I decided to switch to another kind of sport. At first I heard about Rock climbing and tried to contact them via Adventure Rope course but had a class representative meeting to go with it. During the meeting however, I met a student who was into rock climbing and met the group. My first day was a good try but struggled a bit but a new friend of mine got injured; and I decided to stay on till the ambulance came in. ( met her a few weeks later, she was much better then.). A few more weeks in, I went for a Level 1 course which approved me for belaying and basic theory on Sports Climbing. I'm now waiting on whether I can make the competitive team. If not, I'll try again and again and work harder. It's attitude, explosiveness. Passion to continue. I want that. I want to work on my shot, explosiveness, stamina, and everything. I gotta do it. Not for winning, but for the passion and heart for God and Sports. God fuels my passion and the reason I probably struggled in basketball, sailing, and rock climbing. To let me know that, I'm not alone in the sport and that it's a team effort whether it working out with the team, climbing with the team or just belaying, God is there and pushes me to work hard and maintain my passion.

I'll Never Stop.

No comments: