Sunday, February 6, 2011

Why it's basketball....

I never understood why I put basketball in my blog name. I guess I wanted something a little silly but serious at the same time. I always saw basketball as the first outlet of anger and stress in my life. Sure I played video games and has cable tv but my mom wouldn't have none of it of me sitting around all weekend long. When I wasn't studying and I watching TV, she tossed me the basketball and told me to make as many free throws as I could for 1 hour. My time decreased as studies became more. I only took time on the weekends and played one on one with my cousin who embarrassingly beat me despite being 2 inches shorter and at least 10 pounds lighter. I always got bullied by my cousins on the court but of course that's what you get when you take bad shots miss defensive assignments and tend to forget to bring basketball shoes and shorts to the Sunday Gatherings ( I didn't get to till they held it at my house, what can you do with so little time after a 2 hour drive from church?) That made me into a "dirty" player, means someone who does all the dirty job, rebounding, diving for loose balls and taking charges.

Those things helped me earn a tough geek image in school, I didn't get that till maybe 2nd year of High School. I didn't get to play a lot and people teased me trying out for the team. I didn't get in because my dad saw that I got sick from playing so late at night (I still had a bedtime of 9pm then) My friend on the team said that I was considered for my dirty work. Nobody really saw me as soft. It taught me to show others two of my sides, one side I was a Christian at heart and the other side I was always willing to do dirty work no matter where I was.

Through out those times I was weak, I always believed that God was my coach and strength telling me what to do and to work on what. Lately I haven't been doing that, I struggled to get myself working sometimes then now I remember how hard I had to work on someone so much bigger than me having to overcome some really big guys or some faster or more athletic people around me. I remember what it's like being pushed around and beaten up. I learn to stand up not on my own two feet but on God's power and to remember that if truly give it all I have the result is still up to Him. Like David Robinson said, in basketball, you play knowing you and your opponent can't go anywhere else but this court and that's where we fight and grind out the win. Here in life, we grind as much as we can night in and night out knowing that God wants us on our home floor, nowhere else to go but His way up or down. People have seen me in really bad situations and my face looks so dumb founded free of worry that's because I know where God leads me.

What scares me the most in life isn't my inability to win, it's my ability to live my life to the fullest and regret never giving it my all for my Lord and Saviour.

No comments: