Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Calling your own fouls and getting hit

I heard from a friend who plays basketball with some Filipino kids that they were sore losers. I was a little surprised that they called their own fouls and even said "Prove it" when someone protests! I had to admit if they were in a real Filipino basketball court in the Philippines, they would get pounded. When I did play, I never call fouls. I feel that it disrupts the street ball game. Sure you can say foul when someone nudges you on a drive but I think it's being a sore loser and it stops the fun of street ball. To me, part of the fun of street ball is getting hit and knocked down and doing it the same to someone once in a while.

When I was in Singapore, I played a little extra hard. I was a little above everyone else in the beginning and played rough and everyone suddenly backed off. They said, they don't play hard hit or something but they didn't like hard fouls. Once in a while, I did get to play with those from China and Indonesia or the Philippines who didn't mind some hard ball. I did it again in Junior College and boy were they mad. It was my initial reaction to hit hard when the guy is bigger than me so I was a little. The last time I played in Singapore was with a young kid and he was really skilled but I just put a forearm on him and told him to take it and he did. Being that good, you were sure to either get hacked, forearmed, elbowed and hell yeah a clothesline will come out of nowhere!

Point is, life gonna hit hard. If you can't take it, your not gonna grow up. It gave me toughness and some mental work. So the next time you get hit hard and hit the floor, appreciate it. It's a lesson we can never forget and stop learning. We're gonna get hit.

No comments: