Sunday, November 7, 2010

Not so nice....

I'm no angel to be honest. I often bully people a bit now that I'm a little older. There's always that temptation to mess with someone's head when you work with them. Take for example my friend Chocka, he was a really tall big guy. Not fat or skinny but built like a brick building. He was a nice guy and I tended to push him around a bit. In turn, we talked a lot and I knew enough to know how to push his buttons. I'm not gonna say how but I admit whenever I had the time I did try to see how far I'd go. I was older now, not so shy or complicated like I was when I was a kid. It seems I de-mature sometimes when I got either freedom or pressure. It was weird. I was supposed to act my age and yet I come off like a thug or punk kid on sugar rush ( I don't even have a sweet tooth! Ask my dentist.) I guess so many years of getting picked on, my bullies actually became my friends. After a while, they still bullied me but they respected me. I guess I started to see why guys bullied each other, they either had a little switch in their brain to be macho or just wanted to see who was someone who could take a beating and earn their respect or maybe both just to find a fellow macho man or YMCA. I don't know about me but if someone around me gets talkative (Chocka was a little talkative and fun to trash talk with) or cocky, I tend to try pushing their buttons. Nowadays I learn to stand up a bit, I used to just take jokes but now I'm thinking not so much. I can see older people don't tend to mess with each other so much unless they get into some drama moment. It's a little funny when I see people talk shit and start looking like kindergarden. Maybe it's all these independency, my parents would never let me get away with such things. My dad is a bit of a prankster himself. He scares my nephew and steals my cousins phones and teases them constantly but in the end my whole family likes a good laugh out of it. But i can't get away with the same thing, I once rammed my Uncle Robert in a competitive basketball game at least twice and my dad was like "don't do that and be nicer next time", he knew I was rough but he still had control over me. Actually without them, I probably would be even worst off now maybe with a few more detention records in my high school script. My dad showed me how to be a nice guy and made sure I had fun but not cross his line.

Slowly, I think we'll start to draw our own line. To be honest, the idea of lines are that they are ment to be crossed. My dad crosses the line that making false texts to my cousin's girlfriends or boyfriends from their cell for simple awkwardness that can be fixed. I think my line is somewhere between doing something to people when they fall asleep out of exhaustion or food in the face. Oh man, I wonder how far will my kid's line will be from mine. Maybe I should draw it back a little. That's how it works I guess.

No comments: